Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Something New--To Me at Least

I’ve never really been one to listen to audio books: primarily because I trained myself long ago to block out everything when I work so I don’t hear the darn things. The other reason I’m not fond of them is far too many stories don’t translate well to the spoken word.

I am, however, a huge fan of old radio shows, and I have quite a few of these types of programs stored on my iPod. I listen to them when I commute to work, when I clean the yard or the house, and often when I am struck with a bout of insomnia.

Several weeks ago, I ran across an amazing podcast: Crescent.

Crescent

It’s actually a podcast novel written by Phil Rossi, and it brings to the table the best of both worlds: it’s an incredible novel-length tale that was written to be listened to.

And so, I am now an inhabitant of the wonderful world of podcast novels, and a frequent traveler to one of the coolest sites on the planet: Podiobooks.

Podiobooks

If you’ve got any kind of a podcatcher on your computer—such as iTunes—you can subscribe to most of the novels listed at Podiobooks via the iTunes store. (Search by title or author in the “podcasts” section.)

If you prefer, you can download episodes directly from Podiobooks (and many of the linked author sites).

Oh, and the coolest part: THESE ARE FREE. (But do a writer a favor: if you like what you hear, donate via Podiobooks. The writers get 75% of the donation, and it’ll keep quality productions coming.)

Phil Rossi is a master at what he does in Crescent, and it would be remiss of me not to mention that many other books whose descriptions sound interesting are harder to listen to because the audio is just not as powerful, but there is definitely a significant selection of quality novels there.

You can see for yourself: each piece at Podiobooks allows you to stream the audio of the first chapter without a download commitment, and even on my s-l-o-w connection speed, I’ve been able to listen to the previews with relative ease.

Be forewarned: this site and these podcast novels are addictive.

3 comments:

Evo Terra said...

Or, if you want to experience the book in true "serialized" form, where you get one episode every week (or any other unit of time you like), then subscribe directly from Podiobooks.com and you'll get a custom RSS feed. Very handy when you are wanting to enjoy more than one book at the same time. Oh... and it's still free!

Thanks for linking to our site and spreading the word on Phil and Podiobooks.com!

Shawn Hansen said...

Evo,

Thanks for stopping by and adding the RSS information--my oversight.

Ironically, as I sit here typing this, your book Expert Podcasting Practices For Dummies is on my desk: it's my current non-fiction read.

Talk about my head spinning. . .

Evo Terra said...

Well you're one up on me, Shawn. I've not yet seen a physical copy of the new book. :(

E.